While the FTP data is being processed, the USB is continually
monitored and FTP processing is interrupted to service the USB.

Reading that rings the bell in my head !
If you are using polling, then this is bad design.
Use two separate threads to handle USB and to handle FTP. Each thread should
work purely asynchronous (as ICS does) or work blocked on a read or write
(for the USB). Never use a polling loop.

The USB is read by a high priority thread and stored in a buffer. The
background loop monitors the USB buffer and the buffered streams from the
FTP and processes accordingly.

OK, but what is the "background loop" ? If it is a pure loop checking for boolean or integer variable flags, then it is bad design: you consume a lot of CPU for nothing. If it is a loop using windows events (I mean http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms682396(v=vs.85).aspx), semaphore or mutex, then it is probably OK.

--
francois.pie...@overbyte.be