Gotta disagree with Tom on this one.

VW had an off/on love affair with throttle valve switches (I am speaking of
the full-throttle switch on the throttle body here).  I believe they were on
at the beginning but I also know for sure that '78 doesn't have them nor
does my '79 federal model.

I remember my '81 having it though.  All the thing does is close when full
throttle comes around so the computer knows to enrich the mixture a little
bit.  But not all years have them.

Sean Bartnik
Springfield, MA
http://www.type2.com/~bartnik