Hi Dirk,

On 03/27/2013 08:06 AM, Dirk Behme wrote:
Hi Eric,

On 27.03.2013 15:00, Eric Nelson wrote:
Hi Fabio,

On 03/27/2013 06:37 AM, Fabio Estevam wrote:
On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 5:57 AM, Dirk Behme <dirk.be...@de.bosch.com>
wrote:

>> <snip>

The VPU library relies on the output of /proc/cpuinfo (specifically
the line beginning with "Revision".

The snippet (from vpu_io.h) is:

    tmp = strstr(buf, "Revision");
    if (tmp != NULL) {
        rev = index(tmp, ':');

>> <snip>

This code should really be changed,

Yes :)

And this whole thing is really off-topic on the U-Boot list
except as a weak requirement on U-Boot.

so we don't have to carry this
data all the way from boot loader to /proc/cpuinfo.

As mentioned in my previous mail, I have some doubts that *all* kernels
pick the version from the boot loader. It's my understanding that this
strongly depends on the kernel? I.e. there are kernels which get the
version from the boot loader, e.g. via ATAGs. But there are kernels
which are independent from the boot loader and calculate it on their
own? E.g.

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tree/arch/arm/mach-mx6/mm.c?h=imx_3.0.35_1.1.0&id=207f80453c77bc32e04b5fef863f6fe50a7fd1a8#n60

You're right of course. I believe only non-DT kernels are at issue here,
and it's just the ATAG callback get_board_rev() is at issue, not
get_cpu_rev().

Note that this is supposed to carry **board** revision, which lends
more weight to fixing it.

The kernel knows the proper CPU revision in all cases but publishes
the content of ATAG_REVISION in /proc/cpuinfo

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tree/arch/arm/kernel/setup.c?h=imx_3.0.35_1.1.0#n655

http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cgi/imx/linux-2.6-imx.git/tree/arch/arm/kernel/setup.c?h=imx_3.0.35_1.1.0#n1041

It seems straightforward to simply over-write 'system_rev' on those
kernels which need the hack.

Regards,

Eric