On 12/01/2011 11:58 PM, Simon Glass wrote:
Hi Jerry,

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 7:33 PM, Jerry Van Baren<gvb.ub...@gmail.com>  wrote:

[snip]

FDT helper functions have been accumulating in common/fdt_support.c rather
than a separate file.  Simon, what is the history of lib/fdtdec.c?  Is it a
shared file from the linux kernel?  If it is u-boot specific, it would
probably be better to add the functions to fdt_support.c.

There are sort-of two FDT strands within U-Boot. The main one is
support for putting together an FDT to pass to the kernel (cmd_fdt,
fdt_support), and the other is for U-Boot's own use (run-time
configuration of U-Boot, fdtdec). They both use libfdt.

I regard fdt_support as part of the former, and fdtdec (decode-only
helper functions) as part of the latter. At present when you turn on
CONFIG_OF_LIBFDT you get everything, but we could provide finer
granularity for platforms which only want to decode an FDT for
run-time config and don't want to mess with it. Since fdt_decode is
about 6KB of code that might be useful.

Ahh, I see. I have not been closely tracking the u-boot config (fdtdec) improvements, so I did not recognize it as being part of that effort. That makes sense.

Thanks,
gvb

[snip]