How would Universe support/not support a NIC?
That's the OS's function, be it Unix or Windows.
So..if you can install the driver under Windows,
Universe should have no choice but to use it.

Now, if your hooking your 1gb NIC into a 100mb/s router...
then you will only get 100mb/s. The newer 1gb NIC's if
running full-duplex actually run at 2gb/s

George