in theory this works great!

but...in reality (oh wait, poor choice of word).

Say you have array of sales figures. <x> is the client
  and <,y> is the year, so it's setup like you stated and
  the dictionary will show all the years for each client.

Now..You want to pull an array of all the sales for year<,3>
  That's where a function to grab a column would be nice.

otherwise you have to either maintain (2) arrays, one <x,y> one <y,x> or
use a subroutine (which usually isn't as fast as an intrinisc function).

I forget if the FIELDS() method works, and/or why it didn't (if it didn't).
I'll have to play with it.