I use this method, when I create files during the night with
sales data. I'll create a matrix with columns being years and
rows being client data, then write it out to an "item".

Now during the day, there are no calculation, read in the item
and display the numbers.

This isn't really an issue, as the transfile that is created
during the night, isn't really meant to be listed, but rather as
a storage bin for the program to read from.

Once it's in this format, it's easier to create reports as well.

Usually, the matrix I create is 5-6 dimensional. I do some converting
to work with the dimensions beyond char(252)...but again, they weren't
meant for human eyes to view.

George