Tony,

I'm not suggesting that IBM shouldn't have a route into ADO.NET. RedBack
would seem an obvious candidate here, due to the disconnected/lockless
nature of the recordsets. But I'm glad UO.net wasn't mangled into an ADO.NET
provider of some kind. That wouldn't be appropriate, since if I do want to
access mv data, I want to take advantage of the fastest interface possible,
and only use the 'base data' approach of a dataset if I really have to.

Perhaps I'm being a Luddite - I haven't really bought into .net and have
found it disappointing whenever I have tried to use it - certainly nothing
strong enough to make me want to move from Delphi. I guess if the choice was
between VB and .Net it would a different decision. It really is much easier
to create custom or dependent classes if the library comes with full source
code!

But whether it is a .net dataset or a Delphi TClientDataSet I find record
sets to be a cludgy, lowest-common-denominator approach. Given the choice I
would rather call an open RPC mechanism to handle data more intelligently
than lug lumps of data around - whatever the design tools may want. Memories
of the data binding in VB and the record set controls have scarred me for
life - urgggh.

Brian

This email was checked on leaving Microgen for viruses, similar
malicious code and inappropriate content by MessageLabs SkyScan.

DISCLAIMER

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be
privileged.

If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other
person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information.

In the event of any technical difficulty with this email, please
contact the sender or [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Microgen Information Management Solutions
http://www.microgen.co.uk