[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Phil:
>
> What I don't understand about this conversation is why would one expect any
> different functionality from the dbms?  This has been, in my experience, the
> way indexes have always been on the mvDbms products; whether they be U2, D3,
> or whatever.
>
> When an index is created, it is updated if, and only if, the file it was
> created for changes.  Your example indicates an index on DETAIL that
> translates HEADER information.  Since DETAIL is written first, hence no
> HEADER information exists, the index on DETAIL is updated with NULL.  When
> HEADER is written, it is completely irrelevant what indexes exist on DETAIL
> (as it is irrelevant what indexes exist on CUSTOMER, RECEIPTS, etc).  The
> only index that will be updated when HEADER is written are indexes on
> HEADER.

And the reason rewriting the record doesn't correct the index is easily explained too.

Bear in mind it doesn't create the original index (correctly) because the "before"
snapshot is wrong. It doesn't then correct the index because when you rewrite it the
"before" snapshot is correct, the "before" and "after" indices appear to be the same,
so optimisation means it doesn't bother with an update (and doesn't realise the index
is wrong).

Cheers,
Wol