Bill,
This is an example from Universe.   I *think* it works on UniData, too.
Look at lines 1,2, & 8,9,10 of the program.
This is a simple example. I use DICT VOC TYPE, because everyone is
probably familiar with it.

>ED CDS.BP BILL
15 lines long.

----: P
0001:       OPEN 'DICT VOC' TO VOC.DCT ELSE STOP
0002:       READ TYPE.IDESC FROM VOC.DCT, 'TYPE' ELSE STOP
0003:       OPEN 'VOC' TO VOC.FVAR ELSE STOP
0004:       SELECT VOC.FVAR
0005:       LOOP
0006:          READNEXT VOC.ID ELSE EXIT
0007:          READ VOC.REC FROM VOC.FVAR, VOC.ID ELSE STOP
0008:          @RECORD = VOC.REC
0009:          @ID = VOC.ID
0010:          TYPE = ITYPE( TYPE.IDESC )
0011:          CRT VOC.ID, TYPE
0012:          INPUT Q
0013:       UNTIL Q = 'Q'
0014:       REPEAT
0015:    END
Bottom at line 15.
----: Q

>ED DICT VOC TYPE
This is a Type "I" Descriptor last compiled on 07/29/03 at 15:35.
20 lines long.

----: P7
0001: I
0002: IF F1[1,1]='P' THEN F1[1,2] ELSE F1[1,1]
0003:
0004:
0005: 2L##
0006: S