From: Dan Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [U2] [UV] Distributed SELECTs for distributed (Type30)
files

> I'm a bit confused by the subject line, though. Type 30 or
distributed?
> In UV, type 30 is dynamic.

I'm trying to think of a clever excuse for why I called distributed
files "Type30".  Can't.
It's "Type27".  "Type30" are dynamically hashed files.
Oh well, I only missed it by 2.

Thanks for catching that, Dan.

> Anyways...
>
> Assuming a clean & accurate &PARTFILES& (often not a good assumption,

I never trust it.

> and here's where it costs you a little something), you can use that to
> determine how many parts there are currently. The more accurate way is
> to query the dist file header (IIRC, it's an mv attribute returned by
> SYSTEM).

STATUS statement: STATUS FSTAT FROM file.var THEN ... ELSE ...

>From UV10 Basic pg 11-694:
Field Stored Value..............
Description...................................
  24  Part numbers of part files  Multivalued list. If file is a
      belonging to a distributed  part file, this field contains the
      file                        part number, and field 25 is empty.

  25  Pathnames of part files     Multivalued list. If file is a part
      belonging to a distributed  file, this field is empty.
      file

  26  Filenames of part files     Multivalued list. If file is a part
      belonging to a distributed  file, this field is empty.
      file

Of course, the partfiles need not be defined in the VOC for a
distributed file to be valid.
But the VOC pointers would be needed for this proposed distributed
select, so one would have to come up with one's own convention.