In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Yes I have compared the performance.  Within the ERP system I worked in we
saw little difference.  Yes dimensioned arrays MAY have some advantage
under certain circumstances, but reading and accessing fields in a record
is not one of them.  Certainly not enough to justify throwing away one of
the best features of the Pick database, or having to code work-arounds to
deal with the short-comings of dimensioned arrays.

Again I am referring to the use of MATREADS and WRITES primarily here.
When you do this the dim'd array only provides any benefits when accessing
fields.  When you get to dealing with value and sub-value mark separated
data you are back to the 'slower' text extraction.

I generally don't like using dimensioned arrays at all, but outside of
handling actual record structures they do have their uses.

Go to PickWiki and look at the sort routines there. They're actually an EXCELLENT example of where dimensioned arrays shine ...

Along with the various sort routines there, I wrote a tape sort. Now a tape sort is OPTIMISED for merging two already-sorted lists. But I wrote it (because I couldn't see any other sensible way) to use dynamic arrays.

So if DIM'd arrays aren't better at that sort of thing, how come a general-purpose sort like SHELL (using dim'd arrays) just blew TAPE out of the water, in a situation where tape was absolutely perfect for the scenario?

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the