We use CVS here.  All file size info, dictionaries, VOC pointers, and other
source code are checked into CVS.  Artifacts that can be generated from
source code are left out.

TortoiseCVS is a windows client for CVS that makes it easy to look thru the
scc library.  If I had to do it all over again, though, I'd opt for using
Subversion and TortoiseSVN).

When using any source code control system, it's important to have a one-step
build process to checkout all the source code and generate a complete system
(for testing or distribution.)  Too often, someone needs to slip in "just
one more fix" and if the build process has a lot of steps (or heaven forbid,
manual steps) tasks get skipped.