The saving is in the typing that doesn't have to be done with an
OPEN _blah
READ _foo

Vs the TRANS .... The COST of this saving may be in the readability of
the code and long term maintenance. If you adopted TRANS as a "standard"
then I'd say go for it - if not, why complicate your life

(I believe if there were multiple file reads, then READ would outperform
TRANS)

Ross Ferris
Stamina Software
Visage > Better by Design!