We've done it on Linux & SCO, but not AIX, although the concepts should be
the same.  Under AIX, the locations and names of the files will undoubtedly
be different ;-)

There are a couple of issues:

1) I'm not sure I'd expose my application server's to receive email directly
from the outside world, unless you're REALLY comfortable with setting up
sendmail securely, and even THEN I probably wouldn't do it.  If you have an
email server, you can receive mail there under an alias, and have it forward
to the AIX box behind the firewall.

2) If you want automatic processing, you can setup an alias on the AIX box
that pipes the email to a script.  Under SCO (at least as of 5.0.5, haven't
checked newer releases, although I will be in a couple of weeks), it's just
a matter of creating the alias.  Under RedHat, you have to place the script
to run in /etc/smrsh.  RedHat's sendmail will ONLY run scripts in this
directory.  The script can call other scripts that are outside the sandbox,
however.

3) Your receiving script (or whatever U2 program it runs) will then need to
parse the incoming email for whatever you want it to do.

Larry Hiscock
Western Computer Services