I wrote a package for MANAGE-2000 clients that addressed these issues.  I
call it DTS (Development Tracking System).  It does a great job separating
Programmer from Live Data.

To use it one would create a Development Account and an end-user testing
account.  My software would run on the Development Account and would pull
objects from the Live Account into the Development Account and then "lock"
them so that other programmers won't be changing the same items.  The system
would create a backup copy of the original, creating an undo capability.

When all the modifications have been completed and tested by the programmer,
in the Development Account, it prompted the programmer to "Move" the
modifications into the Test Account.  The "Move" only takes only a few
seconds and no recompiling is needed.  It could then send an email to the
person listed as the contact of the enhancement so that they would know it
was ready for them to test.

After the end-user has tested it in the Test Account someone fills in the
Approved By and it would trigger the "Move" into the Live Account and
release the "lock".

David A. Green
DAG Consulting
(480) 813-1725