[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I have a client that only does backup once a week.  I feel this is a
> dangerous situation and would like to suggest they look for an alternative.
> I believe that they could mirror the live system, stop the mirror, backup
> this copy and then restart and resync the mirror.

The problem with this approach is that UV does not update the headers that
much. Dunno about UD. So if they ever DID need to recover, you might find
yourself in a world of hurt with uvfixfile over this ...

> What I don't know, and
> would like a little more information on before I approach them with the
> idea, is now these steps are done. Or, if anyone has a better solution to a
> shop that has to be up 24/7 I am willing to listen, I just hope they are.

The safest UV backup is always one that uses the native UV facilities...
there's something called UVBackup :-)

> They are running SunOS 5.8.  They have just hired a new Unix Administrator,
> right out of college, and I don't know if he is understands the problem.
> That is why I would like to suggest the steps that he looks into, just to
> get the ball rolling.

Doesn't understand the importance of backing up, or doesn't understand the
importance / problems of backing up U2?

What you probably want to do is use uvbackup to automatically dump the database
every time the system is likely to be quiet - you can run that while people are
logged on - it's not a problem. That simply dumps all the accounts into a text
dump file that you can back up onto tape or whatever later. And there are no
file integrity problems.

If you go down the mirror route (and yes, that is a good idea, but there's no
need to do it that often if you're uvbackup'ing), then I think there's a
dbpause command that will sync files and stop any disk i/o. Pause the db
(doesn't stop users using it), break the mirror, resume the db, backup the
mirror, resume the mirror.

If you've got both types of backup you should be reasonably secure.

If he doesn't understand the importance of using UV-aware backup tools, just
ask him if he has any experience of backing up Windows - and how often do his
backups there screw up because Windows has a file open? Although Unix will
quite happily let him back up an open UV file, because it's open it's
internally inconsistent on disk, and a disk backup tool won't get a clean
backup!

Cheers,
Wol