John,

   If Design Bais is riding on the back of SB+ field definitions then you
   may  be able to use D/I types. SB+ can be set to create and maintain D
   & I types by setting DMCONT SB.CONTROL<34,1> = 1 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]<34,1>).

   At  last  look  there was a bug in the UV version of SB.FD.S regarding
   setting  the  S/M  field  for "I(function)" type derived fields. Maybe
   they've fixed it. I just wrote a quick/dirty wrapper for SB.FD.S which
   handled it.

   0001 subroutine SB.FD.S

   0002 * wrapper to 'fix' SB+ I(function) derived fields not setting S/M
   field correctly

   0003

   0004 include DMSKELCODE COMMON

   0005

   0006    localParam  = PARAM

   0007    localKey    = KEY

   0008    localValue  = VALUE

   0009    localRecord = RECORD

   0010    localFile   = F.FILE

   0011

   0012     sbFDS  = '*SB+.DEFN*SB.FD.S' ;*// globally catalogue original
   SB+ subroutine.

   0013    call @sbFDS

   0014

   0015       if   SB.CONT<34,1>   =   1   and   localParam   =   4   and
   localRecord<8>[1,2] = 'I(' and index(localRecord<2>,'M',1) = 0 then

   0016       recordlocku localFile,localKey locked return

   0017       writev 'S' on localFile,localKey,6

   0018    end

   0019

   0020 return

   Stuart,
   it  just  so  happens that Design Bais will convert D types to A types
   when
   you modify anything that is not confined to their extended dictionary.
   Maybe System Builder does the same thing ?
   Hence  you  can  end  up  loosing  certain  dict info such as S/M, SQL
   settings and
   Value marks in the headings.
   Even  though i came from a pick background i prefer D & Is so i am not
   happy
   about   this   and  would  prefer  the  original  dictionary  type  be
   maintained.
   Hopefully this will be addressed but in the meantime if its an issue i
   can
   create  a  separate  dictionary but it means you have to be careful in
   accounts
   that are not primarily DB.
   jak

   This  email message and any files transmitted with it are confidential
   and intended solely for the use of addressed recipient(s). If you have
   received  this  email  in  error please notify the Spotless IS Support
   Centre  (+61 3 9269 7555) immediately, who will advise further action.
   This  footnote  also confirms that this email message has been scanned
   for the presence of computer related viruses.