>See how the EQU would never be "executed"?
>Since it works, I assume the tokenizer reads
>the whole program and picks up the equates,
>but what I want to know is, is there some
>reason for doing it this way, perhaps better
>performance or less memory used?

I would guess there is neither a performance nor memory reason but
rather just an attempt at cleverness and/or obfuscation.  EQUs, being
a compiler directive, simply update the symbol table for compilation
so there is no additional memory being used and as those symbols are
compiled to p-code there would likely be no performance implication.
I would think it would necessitate a two pass compilation or deferred
references to anything equated to avoid unassigned variables, and the
fact that its lack of obviousness has prompted your question, I'm
inclined to nominate such a coding practice as The Bad Idea of The
Week.

-Kevin
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.PrecisOnline.com

** Check out scheduled Connect! training courses at
http://www.PrecisOnline.com/train.html.