I should perhaps put this on the U2C list, but I'll second some of
Tony's impressions of Cache'.  I am starting a new venture (adventure)
and have selected Cache', using their MV tools as well as their AJAX
tools, for the platform.

In my case, I have done a few talks here and there in the past couple
of years, with my primary focus in two areas: MV and AJAX. It was
shocking and delightful to see that there was a company spending a
large amount of its R&D dollars on two primary projects during this
time: MultiValue implementation and AJAX integration. So, I had to
take a look.

Their MUMPS technology (with objects added, just as they added object
features to MultiValue BASIC) is renamed Cache' Object Script. It is
at least as unimpressive at first glance to a non-MUMPS developer as
Pick might be to a non-Pick developer. But they set up the MV
implementation so that, in theory (I'm guessing there are exceptions),
anywhere that you can write MUMPS code, you can now write DataBASIC
(Cache' MultiValue BASIC). Very cool.

Cache' classes can be developed, looking similar to Java and other
object languages, that generate MultiValue dictionaries. These classes
then work with the rest of their AJAX implementation (named Zen). Any
Cache' class with methods in it can have those methods written in
MultiValue BASIC. As a sometimes Java developer, it is pretty
interesting to see this blend of OOP and MV.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the product or my decision on
this, if desired, especially as we get into more hands-on with the
product this summer (the devil is in the details and all).

Of course, there will always be a place in my heart for U2, but I had
to make the best decision for the new software we will be building and
InterSystems with their Cache' offering that now includes MultiValue
just "feels" more like the future, with their 24-7 approach,
scalability etc. There was really good energy at the conference and in
discussions with key Intersystems folks. I like the U2 group too, but
they do not have the same level of corporate-wide backing for their MV
product that Cache' has, so the innovations are not in the same place
either.

Cheers!  --dawn

--
Dawn M. Wolthuis