On 5/11/07, Tony Gravagno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Dawn, I'm surprised to see the comments below from someone who spends a
good amount of her time in academia.  Bookstores are filled with technical
books which supplement vendor documentation, much of it coming from
educators who know the material as well or better than the vendors'
writers.

Of course you are correct, and I likely didn't state my point well.
There must be a market to do such or someone willing to write without
compensation. O'Reilly is likely not soliciting books on Pick as they
are on Ruby, for example.

Of course we can self-publish, as I sort-of did with the "cards." You
and I both have written blog entries, and that is also a contribution
to writing, although I know mine do not have the same QA on them as if
I were finalizing the pages of a book. These are appropriate ways to
add content without as high a risk (or altruistic contribution) as
writing a book. There is less likely to be an altruistic effort if the
material is very vendor-specific and the vendor is not paying for the
book to be written.

I considered putting in a proposal for a MultiValue for Dummies book,
for example, when I was thinking I would learn to write as a hobby,
but opted for the blog instead because I could write whatever
interested me without concern for market value, with the blog being
lower risk (or at least I deemed it worth my time).

There are hundreds of books which cover the same material in
different ways.  Just look at what's available for Java, VB.NET, PHP, XML,
Linux, and a wealth of other topics.

Of course, and Amazon and Barnes & Noble have received my "thanks" for
such efforts.

People buy books in part because they like _how_ authors explain topics,
even though much of the material is repeated in most texts.  I also choose
some of my books by publisher because the bigger ones use standard
templates, formulas which work well to allow readers to get through complex
material comfortably.

The MV DBMS is quite complex, composed of many subsystems.  It's not just a
data model, it's a "database management system".  There are a great many
books on Oracle and SQL Server, and I'm sure there could be a number of
books covering various nuances of Universe too - and Unidata, QM, jBase,
D3, Reality, OpenInsight, Cachi... The notion that the Pick data model is
too simple for a book is, uh, simplistic,

Obviously a book can be written about it, as many have (see the list
at jes.com), but I don't know if there is a sufficient market for it
today. I do think there are ways to angle it that might be marketable,
such as showing one project start to finish (I'm planning to document
the project I'm launching, for example, but don't know if that will be
good book material until the resulting product is wildly successful).
There might also be a market for a more general data model book that
does not focus on the relational model, however, which is where I was
putting my research and writing efforts in 2006.

From that, I have a little "market research" of sorts. Perhaps you
have different figures than I have, but within a year, my blog and
Trilogy together had between 9,000 and 10,000 "absolutely unique
visitors" according to Google Analytics. If as many as 10% of those
folks bought a book (likely a high estimate), that would be only 1,000
copies sold.  I was thinking of marketing to database professors as
supplemental material if I ever pulled it into a book, and I think I
could work at trying to make a market, but at this point I don't see
the ROI (even if not speaking purely in dollar terms).

Here is another way to think of "simple" as I intended it. If you were
to hire a new employee who had to learn UniData, for example, would
you feel you NEEDED a book from the bookstore for them to get started
on the aspects of the project specific to MV, or would the combination
of existing materials, including vendor manuals and in-house
standards, be sufficient?

and the fact that there are so
many MV DBMS vendors in some ways only validates the idea that we just need
more books.

If you want a successful book in dollar terms, you might want to talk
to Jon Sisk about the writing and publishing industry and get an idea
of his estimates before you sink too many hours into writing. If you
have other forms of compensatio in mind, there might be better ROI
than if aiming for dollars.

I have some more "chapters" in mine (blog entries), but the "free"
thing only works when I get something "I want" for it. In my case, I
have an interest in helping our industry get back to a data model that
is not as constraining as that used by many/most shops. I'm not sure
why I have such an interest, but it is my little area in the
profession where I have tried to give back. I have worked on the side
on my little project in that area for almost 5 years. At this point,
to my delight, the industry is headed that way with or without me, so
my writing might be completely unnecessary on that front, making it
less enticing to me.

My best,

Tony "Can and usually does write a book on anything" Gravagno

Between us we have a not-at-all-ready-for-publication book in this
thread alone, eh?
--dawn

Dawn  wrote:
> I suspect that
> someone would write another one if there were a market for it, but the
> vendors all have documentation and the user exchanges, such as
> u2-users, help get folks the rest of the way. It is neither mainstream
> enough nor difficult enough to prompt someone to write a new book, I
> suspect.  Additionally, the various Pick vendors have mostly gone
> their separate ways on client-server and there are many third-party
> products, so other than the basics of  Data BASIC and the Pick data
> model, most of the information needed is vendor-specific at this
> point, I suspect.

Dawn M. Wolthuis
Tincat Group, Inc.  tincat-group.com

Take and give some delight today