Bottom line, dictionaries should be controlled.  Period.

I lock the dicts with os-level permissions.
Just live wth EVAL restrictions. SQL not used much.
For those few cases where EVAL is important:
 - references a limited copy of the full dictionary where the user can
write.
      - via a 2nd F-pointer
      - via the USING keyword
 - or run the affected reports in background by dict owner

We happily use PRC here, & it emphasizes control of the tools such as
ED, as Susan suggests.  So we do both, control tools & OS permissions.

For other shops I have written UV frontends to RCS and MS Visual
SourceSafe.
One can control:
 - each dict item as a separate flat file, where there is a source
controlled directory for each dictionary.
 - the entire dictionary in one controlled flat text file, using a
utility to pack and unpack.  I favour this with RCS because then you can
use rcs keywords in a header section.  And complicated dicts use I-,
PH-items & correlatives that reference one another, so entire dict needs
tracking & recompilation when one dict item is changed.

Chuck Stevenson