You could try embedding the necessary cursor control characters in the
message, but that will also likely reposition the cursor to wherever the
message appears on the screen.

If you have Samba installed and have the smblclient piece (I think this
might be linux only, though) you might try something like:

echo "UniVerse Shutdown Warning" | smbclient -M $MACHINE_NAME

That will cause a popup message to appear in Windows.  Of course you'll
have to do this for every user's machine, and this assumes they're all
on a PC and not a dumb terminal.  I think for this to work on XP you
need to have the Windows Messenger service installed and running.

-John