Yes, agreed. I think if you start with user requirements for services,
then have folks design for those requirements according to each
environment, that would be a good start.  I hesitate to say that it
must be "web services" only because that might imply use of SOAP or an
XML exchange that could prejudice the implementation, but otherwise
defining the requirements as services makes a lot of sense. Each
service implementation in different environments can then be judged
and compared by a variety of measures.

I'm starting to get that "fear of being tossed to u2-community" vibe
when typing this...   Time for some chocolate, perhaps.  --dawn