The comment about the WHEN-BY.EXP connection was removed a few releases
   back.  Now, if you use WHEN it will pick off only the multi-value that
   matches and the rest do not display.

     From:  "Stevenson, Charles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
     To:  <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
     Subject:  RE: [U2] [UV] Speeding up a big BY.EXP select
     Date:  Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:57:15 -0400
     Without a doubt:
         SELECT BIGFILE BY @ID BY.EXP MV.ATTRIBUTE
     -----------------
     It has always frosted my shorts that in order for WHEN to kick in, you
     need BY.EXP even if you don't care about the sort order.
     So, Given that sorting is syntactically necessary,
     and Given that you don't really care about the order,
     you should, without a doubt:
         SELECT BIGFILE BY @ID BY.EXP MV.ATTRIBUTE
     Reason:  _S_U_B_S_E_Q_U_E_N_T_ use of the resultant list.
     All the select list entries for each record will be lumped together so
     the disk read of that record occurs once, for the 1st mv occurrence.
     Subsequent requests for values from that record will still be in cache.
     If you sort by MV.ATTRIBUTE before @ID, you will have multiple reads on
     the
     Example:
     1st sort:  BY @ID    BY.EXP MV.ATTRIBUTE
     Resultant
          List:  X}1|7}0      X}1|7}0
                 X}2|7}0      Z}3|7}0
                 X}3|7}0      X}2|7}0
                 Y}7|7}0      Y}7|7}0
                 Y}8|7}0      Z}10|7}0
                 Z}3|7}0      X}3|7}0
                 Z}10|7}0     Y}8|7}0
                 Z}5|7}0      Z}5|7}0
     The select (or saved) list generated by BY.EXP selections has value &
     subvalue marks in it, the extra stuff telling RetrieVe (or READNEXT)
     where to dig out the relevant value & subvalues.
     Notice that the 1st column is in id order, the 2nd will bounce around.
     This is significant when the list is millions long.
     cds
     P.S.  I'm going to post a question about UVTSORT config parameter
     separately.  I don't know its impact here.