This is so great!!

   "the WHEN-BY.EXP connection was removed a few releases back."

On my 10.0.16 I live under the tyranny of the old regime.

My shorts have thawed . . . Wait, now they've frosted over again:

I'm reading release notes for 10.1 & 10.2  and I don't see anything
about WHEN/BY.EXP. Did I miss an important doc?  I admit I haven't read
everything yet. Where & how was I supposed to find this out?

cds

P.S. My comment about sorting by id before mv.attribute still stands.
All else being equal, if you don't are about the order, lump all the
select list entries for the same record together for the sake of
subsequent use of the resultant list.

Under the new regime I suppose the proper syntax is:

  SELECT BIGFILE WHEN MV.ATTRIBUTE = "xyz"

 (or whatever the criteria are.)