Glen,

<snip>
  You always get the good ones, doncha? What does the warehouse control
system use as a database? How many different O/S are we looking at here?
The first idea that comes to mind is transactional queuing and
inspection. A FIFO updating situation will not work, since you have
logic that is updating data on all sides of the triangle, potentially at
the same time. You need all 3 facets of the system to contact and update
a single data store. I would recommend either another MS SQL server or a
MySQL server. With UV, you can access SQL tables as MV files, right?(MV
triggers to update SQL maybe) Can you get the warehouse control system
to read/write from that SQL database, too? As far as MS SQL, is there a
reason that will prevent you from linking the existing MS SQL table
structures to a central data store that will contain the (moved) data?

   I don't think you're going to get out of this without some major
internal tweaking, data relocation, and application code changes.
</snip>

Well, I was actually only tasked with making the ATS more real time for
our Asia sales office. Since they're entering orders during our night,
they always get the short end of the stick, ATS may or may not be right;
the batch updates are all timed/tuned for US timezone (and work pretty
accurately heretofore).  Anyway... we all hate partial solutions ... so
one gets to contemplating, and one thing leads to another.  I don't have
enough clout around here to convince them to add yet another data store
to their enterprise, but I agree with you - you must establish
referential integrity to go real time with this cluster.  UniVerse is
presently the quasi-reference point [UniVerse is the center of our world
- figure that out isaac asimov], but it's only perfectly accurate once a
day.

Answers to your questions:
a) WCS uses an ISAM db
b) Unix & Windows

I like your solution to the puzzle Glen. ... clear thinking as always.

rgds,
-Baker