Also, according to the UniBasic Reference Manual, "The FMT function can produce different results based on the BASICTYPE setting." So, if we are going to discuss programming standards, do we have to discuss them for each BASICTYPE flavor? The manual documents what happens with BASICTYPE U, but those of us who are in SB shops are required to use BASICTYPE P, where the documentation does not often specify what the variations will be.

Susan M. Lynch
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Haskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 3:14 PM
Subject: RE: [U2] OCONV Extraction Question - Good Practice

Adrian:

I'm not sure about the disaster part. We've moved from D3 to Unidata (a trying experience) and the string handling seems to work fine. We have code like:

CRT OCONV(VAR1, 'MD0') "R(#06)" :
CRT OCONV(VAR2, 'MD2') "R(#10)" :
CRT OCONV(VAR3, 'MD4') "R(#14)"   ; ** end of output line

...and it works perfectly. So, since FMT isn't (or at least hasn't been) as portable as the string formating code (FMT wasn't part of the Adds, GA, R83, AdvPick, D3 line
of MV), I'd say using FMT violates the guideline of "make it portable".

Just a thought...

Bill

Womack, Adrian wrote:
IMO, the only thing wrong with your example is the use of the trailing
format strings - everyone (and I mean everyone) should be using the FMT
function, making your example:

CRT FMT(OCONV(VAR1,"MD0"),"R#6 "):FMT(OCONV(VAR2,"MD2"),"R#10
"):FMT(OCONV(VAR3,"MD4"),"R#14")

The old method is a disaster waiting to happen.