That's what the compiler is for. After all, it has the final word on the
sourse code and any 'pre-compilers'.

I'm having a similar dialog with someone on the D3 forum about their
insistence upon 'changing' the syntax of data/basic statements as he feels
that their syntax is not 'natural'. So he spends a lot of time developing
his own pre-compiler that allows his new expressions to work for him yet get
converted to the eventual data/basic compiler.

I'm glad that you recognize that you're in a closed shop and don't have to
worry about outside considerations. Given the vast amount of $OPTIONS that
can be set in U2 systems, then you can customize your environment to exactly
the one you like and go from there.

Your two examples are just that, examples. I'm not going to stand on a
soapbox and imply that you don't test. Not at all. But this kind of stuff
comes up in the testing cycle of the project and if unexpected results
occur, as in your 2 examples, then the testing has done its job in
identifying a problem.

Has EVERY instance of my typing VAL/100"R2#10" been perfect. Of course not,
just as every example of your typing FMT(OCONV.... didn't work every time
either. Whether yours gets caught in a pre-compiler, the regular compiler or
the testing cycle, it will eventually get caught and repaired.

Being in a closed shop is almost a luxury. You have a forced 'style' (the
word 'standard' is too global) that allows your entire application to
maintain a cohesive feel, look and, most importantly, programmability and
maintainability. That's a luxury that I don't have at any of my clients.
Zero.

I am the current cook in the kitchen and based on the styles and date stamps
of prior programmers, I can detect an average of 5-6 different thought
processes in the code that all come together for each client's application.
There's no reverse-implying a single standard (sorry, 'style').

Many on this forum have this luxury. And I'm sure many do not.

Thanks
Mark Johnson