To: <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 11:47 PM
Subject: RE: [U2] Need to partially hide a file

Augusto,

sort of along the same line of thinking as Dave ... play with the user's
logon as soon as they login...

Modify your LOGIN VOC item so that it:
a) Checks a Data Security flag for that specific user [ @logname = Item
ID in DSA.Flags file]
b) Open the Cust.Secure.Data file to a named common in a short program
if they have clearance
c) If they don't have clearance Open the Cust.Skinny.Data file to the
same file name in the named Common

The named common will follow the user to whatever account they logto (if
you log them around in the app or if they can Logto).

Downside: You will have to modify the code where you are opening this
file in the App, since it will already be opened.

BTW - This approach should meet PCI compliance, and others, since you
are making a positive grant of access based on the User logon (rather
than role based or menu based security).  I would check the language of
the controlling standard - sometimes they hint at the approach they want
you to take.

HTH,
-Baker

<snip> from Dave
Another approach is the following:

In UniData this could be done by using environment variables, and
assigning the variable with different values for some users than for
others.  For example:

@ENVVAR/PRIVATEFILE
D_PRIVATEFILE

User "A" (privileged) could have it set to C:\private.  User "B" could
have it set to "."

I don't know how much trouble that is to set up for windows users
though.
</snip>

<snip> Augusto:
We need to hide some private data (customer personal data) in order to
fit with our Private Data Protection Law.
But only  for some users, the others, they need to have full access.
Our app is complex enough to modify the source code.
<snip>