UniVerse 9.6.1.6 on HP/UX

We are analyzing our "mature and extensive" application to find obsolete
files.
I was hoping to use the array loaded by STATUS() after a file OPEN to return
the date/time stamps.

>From the manual for STATUS() after OPEN
Last Access date = <14> - date of last access
Last Date Written = <16> - date of last mod

It appears that opening the file immediately changes the last access
date/time <14> and <15>.
That seems to defeat the purpose because the answer is always today / now.

Is there a way around this?
Is there another way of getting at that info without having to parse the
results of a unix shell command?
One hassle with that is the external date returned which is "sometimes"
month day & time or maybe month day & year - for older records.

I can do that but it just seems simpler to stay within UniVerse to query
UniVerse entities.
We get spoiled by the U2 way of managing dates/times.

I have searched the IBM knowledge base but got no relevant hits.
That surprises me. I am either misunderstanding something or I am totally on
the wrong path.

Cheers

JR