> > How are you authenticating against AD on Linux?
>
> >Oops, forgot about kerberos in my previous reply.

We also used Kerberos at my last gig (RHEL4 & 5).  Kerberos is the part that
actually talks to the AD controller and it does so in a secure fashion.
 Windows supports it out of the box I believe -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerberos_(protocol)

Very robust solution for us.  The only problem we had was we only pointed to
the primary AD controller in the kerberos config file and if that failed we
had to edit the config file to the backup AD (comment one line, uncomment
the other).  The change was instant, no need to reboot/restart anything.
 I'm sure there is a way to do this automatically though.

Regards,

Adrian,
Auckland, NZ