We are doing this with separate ODBC account that has a subset of
dictionaries with I-descriptors that call subroutines to extract the
required data back to UPS. The VOC entries on the ODBC account point
back to the production data.
We used a different logon since we did not want our Universe application
to execute all the "startup/login" for a typical menu based user. The
first transaction of the day takes the longest time to execute.
You need to have all the data elements defined in the @SELECT and
dictionary items should not have "." period but instead an
underscore(AR.ID  -> AR_ID). Another reason we use a separate
dictionary. Also, make sure to follow all the steps in the HS.ADMIN for
your ODBC account, and anytime you and a new dictionary item or compile
an I-descriptor.

We have been doing this for about 4 years. Since, ODBC only supports
INSERT and UPDATE, we have a UPS script the executes after each shipment
and 'appends' the ship-out data to a SAMBA directory on our UNIX box and
then a phantom routine runs every 15 minutes to read the entries in the
file and post to our production data, and then delete the file.

How are you using the UPS connection, "Keyed Import" ?

Garry L. Smith
Dir Info Systems
Charles McMurray Company
V# 559-292-5782   F# 559-346-6169