We just use samba and delimited flat files to capture tracking #'s from
our UPS and Fedex workstations.  We've been doing this for years without
any serious issues.  We did have to get both companies to write us a
custom script to export the data to a flat file, though, and we do
sometimes experience problems when they force an upgrade on us.  But if
you're a volume shipper, they'll work with you.

-John