I know the question was about UPS WorldShip.  However, suffer the some of the
same
problems no matter what carrier package we implemented. Finally, we went with a
third party package (http://www.bestwaytech.com/proship/). It allows us to ship
package UPS/FEDEX/USPS thru the same xml interface. Their black box
implementation
only requires us to open a socket and stream the xml. They reply with xml and
can
including ZPL/EPL/PNG formatted manifest label.  We actually imbed the image on
our packing slip.  They take care of the carrier rules updates, so in the three
years we have used them we have not had to make a single code change for a
carrier
updates.  Our largest customer ships well over 7000 package a week with no
problems.

The ProShip cost is very reasonable compare to some package out there and when
you
compare it to the cost of setup/supporting in-house the carrier supplied options
it's a net savings. They cut our cost over 80% on doing it our self using the
"FREE" software supplied by the carriers. Not to mention the better rate you can
get from the carriers when you can ship FEDEX as easy as UPS.

James F Thompson
Senior Systems Analyst
Cypress Business Solutions
678.494.9353 x1410