> From: Karen Bessel
> I've worked for several end-users as well as a few U2
> VAR's over the years, and it's pretty apparent to me
> that it's on its way out. ... The three companies that
> I have worked for since 2004 have either done away
> with U2 already, or are currently in the process of
> doing so.
>
> Myself? I've gone back to school and I'm studying .NET
> development. Over the next year or two, I'm going to
> bid UniBasic development a fond adieu...

In many ways I'm not fond of the state of the MV market but I
haven't given up hope because there is still a lot of potential
for change.  (I wish I could say the same for global climate
change but first things first.)

As I mentioned in my recent blog, part of the problem with IBM
owning U2 is that they don't market the software, and this leads
to the sorts of migrations that Karen mentions.  How can a VAR
possibly hope to sell new systems to a mainstream audience when
the upline developer is afraid to tell anyone about it?  There's
no telling if the Rocket connection will improve on this but the
user/developer base needs to impress upon them that silence is
not golden.

Part (most actually) of the responsibility for marketing goes to
the VAR channel too.  Most VARs try to sell MV without mentioning
the database, with the correct position that we sell applications
and not databases, but making the database more obscure only
continues to hurt all of us in the long run.

I've seen MV shops go away too, in large part due to lack of
information at the end-user tier - and you folks also need to do
more to help drive the destiny of this market.  Many MV people,
both VARs and self-sustaining end-users, hold tightly to their
character interfaces and all that they represent.  They're
adamant about using BASIC for everything with a "we don't need no
stinkin mainstream development tools" attitude.  Is it any wonder
that these people and the platforms they hold so dear are going
to get replaced by companies that want to move forward?  Some of
these sites could be saved if the developers and management just
knew the capabilities of the platform.  But despite all the
industry chatter about Java, .NET, Web Services, XML, SOA, and
SAAS over the years, most people simply don't pay attention.
It's almost inevitable that at some point someone will be hired
into management, with an aire of the new and fresh and modern,
and a related desire to replace "legacy" systems, and no one will
be around to tell them that they're already running a system with
all of the capabilities of other modern systems.

As examples of the lack of information prevalent in this market:
The notion of U2 getting replaced by .NET is "awkward" (being
very gentle here) since .NET is not a database and UV/UD are.  An
education with .NET has nothing to do with one's abilities to use
a database.  SAP is an application, not a database.
Misinformation from people who support MV leads to the conclusion
that MV people aren't really in touch with technology.  The
correct response to a "threat" from .NET or SAP is that .NET
works fine with U2.  And you need to compare the business
functionality of your current application with the business
functionality of an SAP application.  If your company needs new
business rules, you can write them in U2.  If your company needs
a new GUI or new communications interfaces, you can add them to
your U2 app - all at a much lower cost than a completely new IT
changeover.

So educate yourselves.  Educate your management, since decisions
to replace everything usually come from that direction.  Educate
your VARs, and make them follow if they can't lead.  And educate
companies like Rocket that have influence on your destiny.  IBM
has never been well educated about how to position this product
line.  This whole situation is in part the result of failure to
do proper internal marketing at IBM as well as external marketing
to a market of companies seeking new business software.  A change
in ownership won't change the way this all works.  Just look at
the other MV DBMS providers, VARs, and end-users.  They all
approach this internal/external marketing thing the same way you
do, and you're all pretty much in the same boat.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!