Common thread winding through this post...

At the TigerLogic Conference a few months ago, Susie Siegesmund
was a key speaker.  Many of us joked/suspected/(hoped?) that TL
had a Rocket in their pocket.  But Susie's excellent presentation
really underscored both a desire and a need for collaboration
amongst the MV DBMS providers.  Susie and Rick Koe (TL CEO and
primary stockholder) stood together to talk about such
collaboration.  I was reminded of the Spectrum Manufacturers'
Association of the 80's.  We need something like SMA again, but
while Susie and Rick openly recognize the problems I'm not
convinced they're willing to dedicate resources to fixing the
problems.  We need an independent agency to coordinate such
efforts, driving the DBMS vendors to take action toward their own
best interests.

As Brian suggests below that U2UG will be taking on various
projects, I'm thinking such UG time might be better spent on
helping to coordinate the efforts of others - UG's for other DBMS
platforms and perhaps a new "SMA-ish" oversight group.  This, as
a separate effort from U2-specific endeavors.

Similarly, rather than the DBMS vendors themselves coordinating
resources for platform marketing, books, etc, I think their best
approach would be to foster the creation of a new SMA-ish group,
which would in turn drive the DBMS vendors to do more.

> From: Brian Leach
> ... the new user group board are going to be
> discussing our projects for the coming year and introductory
> materials/sample applications and such like are very much in
> the frame.

It's a shame that U2UG is the only real global MV group around.
Efforts as described by Brian should be shared by those who
support other MV platforms - share the burden, share the
benefits.

I don't think U2UG should be driving toward introductory/sample
materials that are entirely U2-centric and not more generic and
inclusive of the other Pick/Prime platforms.  Sure, this is all
about U2 here but a user group that focuses only on U2 (for
something like this) would be as guilty of self-serving efforts
as the DBMS vendors.  Yes, of course we need better intro
material for U2 but if the rest of the MV market is still
suffering from a dearth of information then U2 vendors will
continue to face uphill sales battles.

So collaboration in the name of mutual expansion (more like
self-preservation) is important.  With no other central entity or
authority I think this is a project that should be undertaken by
Spectrum, a neutral, for-profit business, with the same
motivations as the rest of us, with co-op funding from DBMS
providers and application vendors alike.

> So nomenclature is something we will need to address if we're
> not going to confuse people from the very start.

I agree that nomenclature is important but I would put less
emphasis on it.  If anything, let's go back to roots rather than
proprietary branding: the platform is derived from Pick and
Prime, let's use the terms from those platforms as the common
base, acknowledging that all MV platforms have their own names
for the same concept, but not trying to coerce users or vendors
to conform to some new standard.  The commonly accepted name of
the platform is now MultiValue.  Let's not, yet again, try to
come up with something new.  It works, go with it.  Pick your
battles carefully because there will be many of them, and some
not worth fighting.

> From that point of view, it's a pity that mvBase and
> mvEnterprise exist otherwise we could carry the 'mv'
> naming further as the standard, but they will be too
> heavily associated with those products.

mvEnterprise is almost a dead product.  mvBase is surprisingly
not dead but the base is too small to worry about conflicts in
nomenclature.

> The Pick name has fallen out of favour, and in any
> case largely describes the operating system which is
> viewed very much as a historic platform.

Again, in creating something new there would be a stigma of an
unknown.  Under a MultiValue banner, the names Pick and Prime are
fine as historical references.  We can't run away from history
and attempting to do so will only elicit suspicion.  Proudly
acknowledging 40 years of history in a world plagued by
techno-ADD and paradigm fads might actually be a good approach.

Tony Gravagno, mvWindbag
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno