From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Karl Pearson
Sent: 23 March 2010 9:26 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Not Consistent Failure

When ever I see someone post something that can't be replicated because it's
inconsistent, I wonder what the answer is going to be.

So, here goes:

I have a client that has started experiencing a login anomaly. First, the
use telnet, and second, they don't have passwords at the Unix level.

They are on AIX 5.2.0.0 with Universe 10.2.12

The things I've seen are:

- the session doesn't make it into UV for their password prompt but drops
straight to Unix.

- I've checked permissions at various locations and at various levels.

- I've commented out various parts of both /etc/profile and
/u1/ACCT/.profile with no consistent noticeable change.

- I've checked UV.LOGIN and ACCT > LOGIN as well and nothing has changed in
either place, and they are performing minimal tasks.

- I've added a sleep just before exec  /u1/uv/bin/uv  plus changed uv to
uvsh to see if that mattered. It didn't change the failures.

- Failures are either on the 2nd login, 4th login, 3rd and 4th, 6th and 7th,
2nd and 3rd and 5th or whenever the pattern can't be matched...

In other words, there's no rhyme or reason that can be applied to this
failure.

This is a real head-scratcher for me and I'm hoping someone has seen this or
has something to offer.

TIA

---
Karl Pearson
ka...@ourldsfamily.com
Owner/Administrator of the sites at
http://ourldsfamily.com
---
"To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;  to mess up a
microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
---
 Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have  for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
 --Benjamin Franklin
---
 Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually  repeat word for word
what you shouldn't have said.
---

07:33:00