truss -pdf <pid> will return a listing of every system call the process makes
at the AIX kernel level, as well as any processes forked by the process (the
'f' option). It's hard to read without a reference like W. Richard Stevens'
"Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", but if you see it bomb out
right after it fails to open a file, for instance, that's a good clue.