Thanks for the help on this one. That one gave me just enough information
to figure things out.

First, when the login failed, I saw an error message "There are running
jobs..." just as the process should have been passed to Universe. That was
odd, so I checked the output of the truss command, and it appeared only in
the stream of the failed logins.

Then I got to thinking, hey, I remember a seldom seen bug in AIX (and a
couple of other OSes) where if the PID table because full, and thus had to
start at the beginning again, sometimes it wouldn't know a PID wasn't in
use any more because it hadn't been cleared from the table correctly, and
give some anomalous errors.

So, I did 'uptime' and saw they hadn't rebooted the system in 60 days. I
used to work for this client and know they have a month-end checklist that
includes rebooting the server as part of closing out each month. So, I
rebooted the system, and then logged in as 'bob' (the user who captured
his screen for us to give things a go), and never once had a failed login
after 30 or so attempts.

It's been a long time since I was involved so deeply at the OS level of a
system, so I really appreciate the help on this one.

Karl

On Tue, March 23, 2010 5:21 pm, Dan Fitzgerald wrote:

> truss -pdf <pid> will return a listing of every system call the process
> makes at the AIX kernel level, as well as any processes forked by the
> process (the 'f' option). It's hard to read without a reference like W.
> Richard Stevens' "Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment", but if
> you see it bomb out right after it fails to open a file, for instance,
> that's a good clue.
>
>> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 16:34:35 -0600
>> From: ka...@ourldsfamily.com
>> To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
>> Subject: Re: [U2] Not Consistent Failure
>>
>> I've not uses the truss command. Pointers?
>>
>> They drop to the Unix directory specified in the passwd file.
>>
>> Karl
>>

>> On Tue, March 23, 2010 3:53 pm, Dan Fitzgerald wrote:
>> >
>> > One thing you could do is to make that sleep like 30 seconds, find
>> that
>> > pid, then use the AIX truss command against it while it's sleeping,
>> and
>> > see what bombs.
>> >

>> > When they drop to AIX, are they in the directory specified in
>> /etc/passwd,
>> > or somewhere else?

>> because

>> levels.

>> changed

>> and

>> this

>> ---
>> Karl Pearson
>> ka...@ourldsfamily.com
>> Owner/Administrator of the sites at
>> http://ourldsfamily.com
>> ---
>> "To mess up your Linux PC, you have to really work at it;
>> to mess up a microsoft PC you just have to work on it."
>> ---
>> Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have
>> for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
>> --Benjamin Franklin
>> ---
>> Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually
>> repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
>> ---

---