The most recent issue of Spectrum magazine detailed a process which I will
summarize here:

1. Use PuTTY to establish an SSH session from Windows client to Windows
server.

2. In Putty, open a local port forward, so that a particular socket on the
client is forwarded to the server.

3. Run your favorite telnet client, in telnet mode, to connect to
"localhost" and the socket (port) referenced in item 2 above.

The telnet client connects to the local port, which forwards it (within
the secure SSH connection) to the server. The SSH daemon on the server
forwards the connection to the telnet port (usually 23) on the server,
wher UV receives it. As far as UV is concerned, it is running telnet.
However, all external traffic is authenticated and encrypted.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2010, Steve McConnell wrote:

> We have a user running on a Windows UniVerse server who has a security
> requirement which forbids running any telnet services.  They want to use
> ssh to connect and have installed bitvise winsshd.  It allows us to kick
> of a uvsh.exe upon authentication.  We are able to login to our software
> or the uv account fine.  But, once we are in, we are having serious
> terminal emulation problems.  I haven't found a term type which will
> work. vt100, console, ansi, etc all display incorrectly (CRLF looks like
> LF).   Commands such as PTERM CRMODE do not work, etc.
>

> Has anyone out there connected to a UniVerse windows server without the
> telnet service via ssh?
>
> Steve McConnell
> Columbia Ultimate

Regards,
....Bob Rasmussen,   President,   Rasmussen Software, Inc.

personal e-mail: r...@anzio.com
 company e-mail: r...@anzio.com
            fax: (US) 503-624-0760
            web: http://www.anzio.com
 street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
                 10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
                 Portland, OR  97223  USA