Cedarville Download

David Wolverton wrote:
UniData 7.1.9 --- Using
list filename field-a field-b TO DELIM "|" c:\Test.txt

Works and generates a "Pipe Delimited" text file... (I have to use
'lowercase LIST' so that it does work due to ECLTYPE, but that's OK)

BUT -- I need the resulting file to be tab-delimited - the 'consumer' for
the file is a stupid old program and cannot accept XML. It can only eat tab,
or comma delimited files.  And since some of the data CONTAINS commas, the
TAB seems to be the better choice.
Using TO DELIM "^009" will not work that I can see. And I think in this day
and age, having to write a program to generate this simple of a file seems a
bit over the top!!

The other choice - building a dictionary called "tab" -- but I need to
extract about 40 fields for this issue, so I was hoping to NOT have to build
a 'hard coded' dictionary that was itself just a CHAR(9) so that my command
line does not have 'tab' as every other word and get near the 'max length'
along the way! That is, I didn't think I should have to do this:

list CLIENT.MASTER field-a tab field-b tab field-c TO c:\test.txt

I mean, tab delimited file. How routine is that?? Why would I have to build
a 'fake dictionary' to handle that?  Am I missing something?

How do others deal with this issue?  Or is the 'fake dictionary' the 'state
of the art' methodology today??