Getting everything you want in one read is practical in limited
circumstances.  Getting what you want in one REQUEST, however... that's much
more valuable.

We use JSON formatted strings to pass structured data into and out of
Unidata using subroutines to collect everything we need.  This allows a web
request to make a single request and get a response that could include any
number of different data elements spanning one read, multiple reads, even
multiple files.  It's pretty slick.  But that's beside the original
question.  The original question of taking information out of a SQL database
and mapping it to a MV database is meaningless without a context, and that
context - in my opinion of course - is an application that is creating
and/or consuming that information, irrespective of the configuration of data
refrigerator in use.