The multi-valued format as you're calling it, is not an abnormal form.

It is a non-first normal form.
That is, it is normal, but it is not first normal.

The query language is extended with an implied unnest operation.  We don't
actually use this type of language in MV, since we just assume that it can
do it, without our explicit order.

MV is not the only structure that allows nested relationships.  I don't
really know if this type of designation "non-first normal" is going to catch
hold in the MV world.  Probably we're going to end up calling it Nested
Relational.

The MV world is certainly a giant step beyond the true non-relational
databases such as *shudder* Excel which have multiple abnormalities in the way
they can and are updated.  I.E. dependency relationships are often left
dangling or in ambiguous states, a thing which can not happen (at least not in
the
same fashion) in MV.