I don't know a lot about fully normalized relational database but I do know you
can read the the schema of a database.  (Again - just thinking out loud)  They
have Master Data Management (MDM) tools that collect, aggregate, match,
consolidates, persists and distributes data to  ensure consistency and control
of this information.

By using this kind of tool, theoretically, you could re-build your schema in an
MV format that would take advantage of MV technology.  To Ross's point, the
technology might not be there for real-time processing across databases,
however, you could get near-time.  And outside of transactional processing,
near-time meets the needs of most projects.

I just see a lot of people looking to migrate data off of MV, I think by
creating an "easy" migration path to (and from) an MV environment, you would
draw more attention.

Not to get to far into this discussion (at this time) I respectfully disagree
with those who have said that your data needs to be application specific.  This
thought puts the emphasis on the application and not on the data.  And it's all
about the data!  Applications are easy to build and they SHOULD be much more
dynamic then they currently are and that is because business is dynamic.

 'We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when
all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic about.'