Thanks to John Jenkins, who contacted me offlist with some excellent
information about the Windows firewall, I return here now to eat my share of
crow for casting the blame towards Rocket when in reality the problem was
with the Windows firewall.

John had me run udt in the console and then run my script, which caused the
Windows firewall to prompt for Allow/Deny.  Once I allowed access in the
console, my original script works fine under telnet.  Once again, I am most
thankful for the gracious assistance of this group, even when I myself may
not be the model of graciousness.