We have been using web services recently to allow UV to play nice with a couple
  of other servers. Using XML as the output format. I have it setup to accept
  either XML input or parameters (POST) or parameters for input (GET).

I currently use a perl .cgi as my gateway/interface between APACHE and UV

What's nice is no one really knows what's behind the curtain, just that it
works.

George