Interviewing late last year I got a series of applications from unemployed
long term mv programmers.  Several of them had been contracting for years,
being paid a lot of money (in some case twice what we were offering) to work
on green screen applications in basic.  They lacked what I would call simple
IT skills, one said that he had been teaching himself new skills by
networking together two PCs at home, which he had found 'challenging'.

Now I'm not saying that all long term mv programmers are like that, but
quite a number are and they will struggle.  We do a lot of our work in java
and html and increasingly even our database people need to be web savvy.
Speaking as a 28 year mv veteran myself, I know how hard it is to adapt to
this new world but equally I recognise the need.  Increasingly we are
finding it easier to recruit web and java skilled people and teach them what
they need to know about U2, much quicker and cheaper than taking veterans
who expect their experience to mean they are paid a lot of money and who
struggle to understand what we are talking about when we say XML, REST, http
GET & POST etc.

George Land
APT Solutions Ltd
U2 UK Distributor