On 26/08/11 01:18, George Gallen wrote:
> But swap space isn't really memory, it's disk and nowhere near as fast as
> memory, and (I don't know for sure) probably
> even far slower than SSD's.
>
> In reality, if your creating a tempfs partition for the speed of memory vs
> disk, then using swap space defeats the purpose.

Agreed (partially :-)

If your access is lumpy, or (not in this case) you are creating zillions
of files, or probably some other reasons, it still makes sense. For
example, in my case (gentoo emerge) it creates lots of small files that
it creates, uses, then forgets about. By using tmpfs, they don't get
flushed to disk in the normal course of events, and if they do, chances
are I no longer care.

And the OP didn't mention speed. Maybe that's not why he wanted ramdisk?
After all, isn't the whole point of Pick that a memory-starved Pick
machine can still outrun an Oracle with ram coming out its ears? :-)

Cheers,
Wol