Thanks for the reply Rob,

As to cherry picking, I wasn't calling out anyone in particular, but the thread
in general. I believe some of our disagreement involves around the statement
"MongoDB, which falls into the same class of database as U2.": MongoDB is *not*
an enterprise class database. As per Charles Shaffer post, would you honestly
use MongoDB for his system? I wouldn't. You would either go with a major SQL DB
or an MVDB (such as a U2 system). As I and others have noted, U2 gives you a
unique value proposition in that it generally has faster change turn-around,
cheaper associated costs and stability of platform (it will still be fine in 20
years without major architectural changes). MongoDB just doesn't fit into this
realm. It isn't enterprise class; it doesn't have the maturity to provide the
guarantees needed in serious enterprise systems, even if only for the mere fact
it hasn't been around long enough to prove it. As to FourSquare, please re-note
the link to FS's 11 hour outage caused by MongoDB as an actual example. Can you
imagine Bank of America having an 11 hour outage on all money transactions and
how much money/customers they would lose? People have been conditioned to
accept website outages from time to time. No-one is going to die because FS is
down for a day. Other things in life are not forgiven/forgotten so easily.
Emergency systems run on U2. I would consider myself insanely negligent if I
convinced those emergency services to drop U2 and replace it with an immature
(even if exciting) database such as MongoDB.

I cannot really comment on your issues with UniData, not knowing when or what
they were. We ran UD at a Bank and out of our 20+ systems (most on MS SQL) it
was by far the most stable with the least down time. It had to be, lest it put
us out of business.

U2 does not (and cannot) target EVERY market out there. Comparing it to other
databases outside of the its core markets and saying "MongoDB destroys U2 in
every single aspect.  And it's free" (http://goo.gl/7O5Hm) is a catchy, yet
ultimately flawed statement.

I don't think anyone would argue that 'Big Blue' and 'Agile'  are the wine and
cheese combination of the tech world. Please remember that U2 is now Rocket U2,
not IBM U2. Rocket Software is an amazingly agile company in comparison. How
long did it take them to release DataVu? Also remember that in the "company
scale" of time U2 hasn't been with Rocket for that long. Take into account ramp
up time for a new working environment, complete office move, rebranding of all
products and documentation when determining how sluggish U2 is. Expect more
developments to come out quicker. There are some exciting changes coming down
the pipes that will address some of the issues people have raised in this
thread.

UniObjects (COM) is an ancient interface. Don't forgot that there is now EDA, a
SOAP-based web-service provider and a RESTful web-service provider (in beta).

Better resources: more is coming. U2DevZone is up, it is now open (no sign in
required anymore) with articles, video tutorials and podcasts. You can take
this as a solid indication that the folks here are committed to providing
material that makes U2 a more attractive option.

Yes, times are interesting in the database world right now. There has not been
this much attention and diversity for as long as I can remember. I'd love to
see you (and everyone else) at U2U next year, meet some of management &
engineering and see what is happening in the U2/MV world and maybe even provide
some insight into what keeps you interested in the MV world and what doesn't.
Obviously there is something in there that interests your technical mind for
you still to be posting on this list. :)

Cheers,
Dan

PS: Thanks also to all those that sent direct replies to me. If I haven't got
back to you yet, I will endeavor to do so next week.